Have you ever seen the TV show The Walking Dead, or any zombie movie? The basic idea behind them all is that during the apocalypse at the end of the world, there is some kind of virus that reanimates dead bodies – and turns them into the living dead – and causes them to walk around looking for human brains or bodies to eat.
- That’s very similar to the Bible’s description of our lives before Christ!
- Their whole existence is to satisfy their hunger for the flesh, they are mindless zombies walking around looking to satisfy a never ending hunger for flesh.
1. FIRST THE BAD NEWS – WE ARE THE WALKING DEAD:
Ephesians 2:1-3(HCSB)And you were dead in your trespasses and sins 2 in which you previously walked according to the ways of this world, according to the ruler who exercises authority over the lower heavens,the spirit now working in the disobedient.3 We too all previously lived among them in our fleshly desires, carrying out the inclinations of our flesh and thoughts, and we were by nature children under wrath as the others were also.
Sir William Wallace in Braveheart says this “Every man dies. Not every man really lives.”What does it mean to be truly alive? Just because you’re breathing doesn’t mean you’re living life to the fullest! God’s original intent for us is to experience abundant life John 10:10 (HCSB)10 A thief comes only to steal and to kill and to destroy. I have come so that they may have life and have it in abundance..
But because of Adam and Eve’s sin, we are all born with a sin nature.
This Scripture says we were dead in our sins, following the passions of our evil nature.
Genesis 4:7(HCSB)7 If you do what is right, won’t you be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is for you, but you must rule over it.”
Sin is bondage, being chained to something you don’t want to do.
• Romans 3:23, (HCSB)23 For all have sinned and fall short of the[s] glory of God.
• Romans 3:10(HCSB)10 as it is written:There is no one righteous, not even one.
• Romans 7:24(HCSB) What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this dying body?.
The Apostle Paul is saying that before Christ, we are the walking dead – bodies of death!
Living in sin is not really living. It’s not being fully alive.
I don’t know about you, but I want to live life, I want to be fully alive!
2. THE GOOD NEWS (THE GOSPEL)– GOD WANTS TO MAKE US FULLY ALIVE:
Ephesians 2:4-5(HCSB)4 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love that He had for us,5 made us alive with the Messiah even though we were dead in trespasses. You are saved by grace!
- I like when God butts in. Not because we texted him,Facebook messaged, tweeted him, we rejected Him!
- Romans 5:8-10(HCSB) 8 But God proves His own love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us! 9 Much more then, since we have now been declared righteous by His blood, we will be saved through Him from wrath. 10 For if, while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, then how much more, having been reconciled, will we be saved by His life!
• BUT GOD: in spite of our ignorance and rebellion, He is RICH in mercy, and His GREAT love! Think about this… When we were at our worst God reached down and saved us from His wrath!! He loved us so much that HE made a way for us.
•John 3:16 (HCSB)16 “For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life.
Ephesians 2:4-9(HCSB)But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love that He had for us, 5 made us alive with the Messiah even though we were dead in trespasses. You are saved by grace! 6 Together with Christ Jesus He also raised us up and seated us in the heavens, 7 so that in the coming ages He might display the immeasurable riches of His grace through His kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8 For you are saved by grace through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God’s gift— 9 not from works, so that no one can boast.
HIs Mercy fell upon us that while we were deep in sin His love was deeper, God demonstrates his love that while we were separated, Christ died for us. God demonstrates his love through one man’s obedience we’re bought back in blood.
• Even though we were the walking dead, He made us alive in Christ.
• A dead man cannot make himself alive. If there’s a body floating in the bayou, you can throw a life ring to him, but he can’t grab it! Therefore, Only God can make us alive!
Just because you’re alive in Jesus doesn’t mean everything will go well with you!
John 16:33 (HCSB)33 I have told you these things so that in Me you may have peace. You will have suffering in this world. Be courageous! I have conquered the world.”
Apart from Jesus, we are all the Walking Dead. But because of Christ’s resurrection from the dead, we can become fully alive.
3. WHAT IS THE GOSPEL?
1 Corinthians 15:1-4 Now brothers, I want to clarify for you the gospel I proclaimed to you; you received it and have taken your stand on it. 2 You are also saved by it, if you hold to the message I proclaimed to you—unless you believed for no purpose. 3 For I passed on to you as most important what I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,4 that He was buried,that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,
• Apart from the resurrection of Jesus there is no Christianity.
• Jesus was a great teacher, but Christianity is not based on his teachings.
• Jesus was a great miracle worker, and Christianity is not based upon his miracles.
• All of those are incredibly important and teach us a great deal about Jesus.
• The core of Christianity is the life, death, burial, resurrection of Jesus Christ.
THE STORY OF THE RESURRECTION:
Matthew 28:1-9(HCSB)After the Sabbath, as the first day of the week was dawning, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to view the tomb. 2 Suddenly there was a violent earthquake, because an angel of the Lord descended from heaven and approached the tomb. He rolled back the stone and was sitting on it. 3 His appearance was like lightning, and his robe was as white as snow. 4 The guards were so shaken from fear of him that they became like dead men.
5 But the angel told the women, “Don’t be afraid, because I know you are looking for Jesus who was crucified. 6 He is not here! For He has been resurrected, just as He said. Come and see the place where He lay. 7 Then go quickly and tell His disciples, ‘He has been raised from the dead. In fact, He is going ahead of you to Galilee; you will see Him there.’ Listen, I have told you.”
8 So, departing quickly from the tomb with fear and great joy, they ran to tell His disciples the news. 9 Just then Jesus met them and said, “Good morning!” They came up, took hold of His feet, and worshiped Him.
• Through His resurrection from the dead, Jesus proved that He had power over death.
• His resurrection also proved that He is God, and that He is who He said He is.
• The Good News is that because of Christ’s resurrection, we too can become fully alive!
HOW DO WE COME ALIVE IN CHRIST?
It is though Jesus and only through Jesus.
John 14:6(HCSB)6 Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
John 11:25-26(HCSB)25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in Me, even if he dies, will live. 26 Everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die—ever. Do you believe this?”
• Do you believe this? Do you know Jesus in the power of His resurrection?
• The resurrection reminds us that no matter how dark the night, day always comes!
• It is the promise of new life, dead to sin and ALIVE in Christ, the hope of life everlasting!
• It’s a day to celebrate – though sorrow may last for the night, joy comes in the morning!
• Do YOU know Jesus today in the power of His resurrection?
• Too many people are stuck on Good Friday – in some churches, He’s still on the Cross!
- Romans 8:11(HCSB)11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead lives in you, then He who raised Christ from the dead will also bring your mortal bodies to life through His Spirit who lives in you.. This is resurrection power!
Why is the resurrection of Jesus Christ important to salvation? It demonstrated that God accepted Jesus’ sacrifice on our behalf. It proves that God has the power to raise us from the dead. It guarantees that those who believe in Christ will not remain the walking dead, but will be resurrected unto eternal life. Eternal life starts at the moment of Salvation!!
• Jesus is alive! God wants to take our old and broken lives and make us ALIVE!
• Everyone is a sinner,Have you given your life to Jesus and repented of your sins? He died on the Cross to pay the price for your sins to be forgiven.
• Are you depressed? He wants to give you joy unspeakable and full of glory!
• Are you sick? He will heal your sicknesses and diseases!
• Jesus is the Savior, Healer, Deliverer, Wonderful, Counsellor, Mighty God!
• The Scriptures say Come to Jesus all you weary and heavy burdened and find rest for your souls!