Matthew 3:11 “I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
Acts 2:38 Peter replied, “Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
- Baptism of water The significance of water baptism is that it symbolizes the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ and our identification with Him.
- Baptism of Spirit You will be baptized in the spirit to go out and perform miracles, speak the gospel, say no to temptation, etc. When ministers get up on the altar there is a”Baptism of the Spirit” that happens. It is the supernatural power to accomplish a task set forth by God. It is not a one time deal and it is done throughout the book of Acts.
1. Acts 2:4 – And everyone present was filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other languages,as the Holy Spirit gave them this ability.
2. Acts 4:31- After this prayer, the meeting place shook, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit. Then they preached the word of God with boldness.
3. Acts 13:52 And the believers were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.
4. Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
- Just as the scripture says you will receive power. The Greek word for power here is “Dunamis” it is the power for performing miracles, power to overcome sin. Never forget where this power comes from. John 15:5 Jesus said, “Without me you can do nothing.” In the Greek Jesus was saying, ‘Without me you have no dunamis power.’ Stay connected or you will run out of juice!
2. Exousia ex-oo-see’-ah means authority Matthew 10:1Jesus summoned His twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every kind of disease and every kind of sickness.
3. ischus’ is-khoos’ meaning abiding power or strength, the strength to continue, to endure to the end, to overcome 1Peter 4:11 Do you have the gift of speaking? Then speak as though God himself were speaking through you. Do you have the gift of helping others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies. Then everything you do will bring glory to God through Jesus Christ. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.
4. kratos 1 krat’-os means dominion, corporate, kingdom dominion,manifested power. From the word kra meaning to perfect or complete. There is grace available to dominate until you complete the will of God.Jude 1:25 to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.
5. energeia en-erg’-i-ah means energy, working, efficiency.Ephesians 1:19 and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might
- Baptism of Fire – also called Sanctification, progressive salvation,we are always in the process of sanctification. We go through this until death.
1Peter 1:7 So that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ
Justification is a pronouncement to clear the guilty. When one is justified, he is declared right before the Lord;This is salvation.
Romans 8:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,
Sanctification is a continual process that conforms us into the image of the Son of God or the Baptism of Fire, how hot the fire has to be? As hot as it needs to get to remove the dross so he can see His reflection in us.
1Thess 4:7 says, “God has called us not for the purpose of impurity, but in sanctification.”
Glorification The completion of our Christian life on earth, at the end of the sanctification process and occurs when we get to Heaven
Philippians 3:20 But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.
**Justification is instant upon salvation, Sanctification is an ongoing process and Glorification is our future eternal state.